Saturday, February 7, 2009

Farewell Federal, We Will Miss You!


I took this image about a year ago when the Federal Bank was moving from this location to their new facility on Allen Parkway. I suppose that security was somewhat compromised during this process so they posted a armed guard outside. I knew that eventually one of the spots with the highest bust factor in the city, might become skateable for a few months. Surprisingly enough it became a hot spot that ended up getting a lot of coverage and attention from the industry. Footage from the spot was in numerous online montages and various videos. I knew it wouldn't last but was pleasantly surprised that it lasted as long as it did. When it was all good to go and skate there I would try to go as often as I could. When the crew I was rolling with wanted to go elsewhere I tried to remind them that the spot would not last forever and that once gone, it would be missed. Eventually a church group acquired the building and immediately started the harsh process of shutting down the spot. It didn't die easily and the Habitat team and photographers ended up getting their equipment confiscated and thrown in jail for an overnight stint. The church group being so forgiving tried to go down to the jail and force Houston's authorities to hold the offenders for a longer period of time. I suppose that is the Christian thing to do, nah probably not. I know that the group was trespassing but to take it further than it had already been taken was just ridiculous. The spot is still there but I haven't heard of anyone touching it since, time to let it cool off for a little while, we'll have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment