Monday, January 26, 2009

Never Forget "Boneite" R.I.P.


Remember to good old days of Powell Peralta's boneite construction. The strange tar paper that acted as a catalyst that would wick even a tiny amount of water deep into the inner core of your deck. Back then we rode the boards for such a long time and $50 was so much money that the idea of getting another board on a day that wasn't your birthday or Christmas was unthinkable. I used to mow, edge and sweep lawns for $5 a yard. So it would take me anywhere from four to six weeks to save up enough funds to get another deck. A lot of time it would be even longer if I was treating myself to Gatorades while out street skating all over Seabrook, Texas with my friends. I stayed away from boneite back then, the word on the street was that it sucked. Must have been true since Powell Peralta quickly dropped it as the gimmack that had run it's course. I would say that it was the boneite that bummed my friends and I out on Powell. Before that they could do no wrong, they had the best team with the best videos anyone had ever seen. After feeling wronged by the boneite, we were looking for something different. Enter stage door left Vallely Double Tail and switch.

1 comment:

  1. Nice :-)
    Used to ride a boneite lance mountain back in the late 80's. In Scotland! Possibly the wettest country on earth! Slightest bit of rain would turn my deck into a sponge for days :-/
    Anyways, thanks for the memories dude :-)
    - Shaf

    ReplyDelete